A Parents’ Perspective
If you are a parent, grandparent, caregiver, or mentor please understand depression among teens and young adults is real and must be addressed.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people between the ages of 15 and 24.
- When a young person commits suicide those affected include family members, especially siblings, friends, teammates, neighbors, as well as others.
- In all life threatening situations, please call RI Emergency 911.
- The first step is notifying your child’s pediatrician or primary care doctor. Sometimes, depression may be caused by undiagnosed medical illnesses.
- The best care is coordinated care between medical and behavioral health care providers.
On these pages and throughout our website, we have included information to better understand the challenges of suicide prevention; the importance of coordinated medical and behavioral health care and how The Samaritans can be supportive when family, friends and professionals are not available.