Outreach and Community Education
Our 2008-2009 Statewide Outreach Project
As a long time, trusted community program, The Samaritans is in a unique position to increase awareness of issues relating to depression, suicide, treatment as well as the issues and challenges facing survivors of a loved one’s suicide.
Through the efforts of U.S. Senator Jack Reed and the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), from September 2008 – November 2009, The Samaritans of RI conducted a statewide outreach and communication effort to increase its statewide capacity in trying to prevent suicide by increasing suicide prevention education and breaking the stigma associated with seeking help for issues relating to suicide.
The project included reaching out to Rhode Islanders of all ages, in all 39 cities and towns including the hopeless, alone, suicidal and those caring for persons at risk. Suicide has no boundaries and all RI cities and towns are affected. With SAMHSA funded support, The Samaritans was able to expand its statewide outreach beyond Greater Providence.
The grant also successfully supported The Samaritans of RI Website Enhancement Project. With statewide outreach, unanticipated increase in use of the website was evidenced with a 31% increase in use. The dramatic increase in use demonstrated the importance of the website as a vehicle for reaching myriad populations in the state and enhanced The Samaritans of RI responsiveness as a primary suicide prevention resource.
Other Community Outreach
- Forget-Me-Not Gallery exhibits, music programming and special events.
- “Listening Beyond Words” active listening class.
- Annual events and mailings
- Distribution of brochures and magnets [download brochures here]
- Billboard, bus shelter signs and TV advertising
- Guest appearances on local radio and tv
- Constant Contact Newsletter
- Our website
- Social Media include Facebook and Crowdrise
- Speakers Bureau for local businesses and agencies.
- Special guest columns in community newspapers across the state
- PSAs, fundraising and website videos.
- Distribution of materials through programs and community stakeholder locations
To schedule a guest speaker or presentation, please contact The Samaritans Business Line at 401-721.5220.
To be added to our Constant Contact email list, please go to the home page of this website and scroll to the bottom. Enter your email address.
To be added to our mailing list, please send your name, address, telephone number and email to: email@example.com
Suicide Prevention Resources for Rhode Island Residents
Enter the name of your city or town for local resources.